Tuesday 16 June 2009

The plunderin' lass-lubber...

Happily and carelessly
I played the game aimlessly
Irresponsible, wanton and boyish
To me it all seemed so toyish

The game kept me young and on my toes
My life was full of happiness and devoid of woes
Poised with a new challenge at every passing stage
Conquest after conquest made me forget my age

One day however, the game took a turn
The rules changed, the player felt a burn
I was suddenly mesmerised, and a lot about me changed
I started behaving differently, almost mentally deranged

I took time off to think
And seperate reds from the pink
What I treated like parrots, this time, was a Dove
I stared in disbelief, for I was surely in love

It was difficult to move a finger
When I wasn't around her to linger
Living apart from my beloved was a task so hard
Days passed like months, time seemed to tard

I came out with a clean slate, as a sign of penance
With an aim to seek support, sick of self defense
The knowledge of my past would render circumstances better
In sooth, I believed, my dreaded past wouldn't matter

Then suddenly one day, light was killed and darkness hired
I had spoken too much, too soon. Upon me it all back fired
The rules changed again, the player left all alone
Mentally sapped this time and unwantingly danger prone

From there on I began, with myself, a long fight
In no time at all, my blacks turned to a tense white
In vain I tried to go back to my old ways
Soon to realise, a reputation tarnished never pays

Sadly however, I soon accepted the cardinal thing
My actions only made me lose, to the me within
I gave up fighting with my self, torn and distraught
My new life stays devoid of battles to be fought

It's hardest to handle betrayal from the one who taught you to trust
Despite feeling new lows, live on you must
The greatest learning here is about the law of averages:
Every plundering pirate meets his end, at the hands of wandering savages...

No comments: